The Parish Council is up for election in May, and it’s not too early to think about standing. This is the first of a few news items that explain a bit more about what is involved and how to apply.

Younger people and women aren’t well-represented on the current council – do you think you could help to represent some different views in the parish?

Applying to become a councillor

Whilst the process for application is relatively easy, it is strict and if not followed exactly, will result in disappointment and rejection for the wrong reasons! The rules are there to ensure that only those who are eligible to stand for election in our community are considered and that those put forward have agreed to stand for election.

Parish Councillors are elected by the public and serve four year terms in office. Uplyme Parish Council does not pay allowances, but does reimburse approved mileage and certain expenses. Meetings are held in the Village Hall on the second Wednesday evening of every month, so you don’t have far to go.

If you wish to stand as a councillor you must satisfy these requirements:

  • You need to be over 18 years of age
  • A British citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of any other member state of the European Union
  • On the Electoral Register for the council area for which you wish to stand.
  • In addition a person will be qualified if the following conditions are met:
    • a person who during the whole of the twelve months before nomination as a candidate occupied land or other premises as owner or tenant in the parish;
    • or has, during the same period, resided in that area or within three miles thereof;
    • or has during the same period, had a principal or only place of work in that area.

You cannot stand for election if you:

  • Are bankrupt and an Order or Interim Restriction Order has been imposed
  •  Have, within five years before the day of the election, been convicted in the United Kingdom of any offence and have had a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period of over three months without the option of a fine
  •  Work for the council where you are intending to standing for election (but you can work for other local authorities, including the principal authorities that represent the same area).
  •  Have been convicted or reported guilty of a corrupt or illegal practice by an election court, or have been disqualified from standing for election to a local authority.